Ottoman Jerusalem
In 1453 the Ottoman sultan Mohammed II captured Constantinople
after a fifty-three-day siege, ending the Byzantine Empire.
The historic capital of Christian Orthodoxy became the capital of Islam
under the name Istanbul. In 1514, Mohammed II's grandson, Selim "the
Terrible" forcibly added parts of the Persian Empire to his domain,
and in 1517 he ousted the Mamelukes from Jerusalem. When Selim triumphantly
entered the city, he was given the keys to the Dome of the Rock and the
al-Aksa Mosque, and a delegation of Christian monks presented him with the
original writs of Omar guaranteeing the priests jurisdiction over the Church
of the Holy Sepulcher and other Christian holy places. Salim kissed
them and confirmed them by pressing them to his face and eyes in the Oriental
manner. The fate of the Holy City was sealed for the next four hundred years.
But it was not Selim who impressed the Ottoman mark on Jerusalem, but
his only son Suleiman (1520-1566)—known in the West as "the Magnificent"
and in the East as "the Lawgiver." Suleiman came to power at the
age of twenty-six, an untried ruler in the age of giants—Henry VII of England,
Francis I of France and Charles V, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. It was also
the time of Martin Luther and the Reformation.
Suleiman's artisans improved Jerusalem's water supply, constructing the
Sultan's Pool and placing public fountains throughout the city. They also
repaired the doors of the Dome of the Rock, added stained glass windows
and covered it with mosaic tiles from Persia (those seen today are
a restoration). Furthermore, it was Suleiman who refortified Jerusalem.
His walls, completed in 1541, still encircle the Old City today—and are
very well-preserved.
Jerusalem's walled Old City, from the Mount of Olives
Through successive centuries of Ottoman rule, however, Jerusalem's fortunes
declined with those of its masters, who took little interest.
During the 17th and 18th centuries Jerusalem sunk to a low ebb.
There were no roads to speak of and houses were ill-heated, ill-lit, decayed
and crumbling, because their owners were burdened by oppressive taxes. Its maze
of narrow streets became filled with sewage, rot and filth; cesspools bled into
water cisterns, and hundreds died of disease. No one lived
outside the walls. The deep valleys around the city and the stony hills
beyond were haunted by wild animals and robbers. Memoirs of Western visitors reflect a deep disappointment over the
city's fallen state. In 1838 Jerusalem had fewer than 16,000 inhabitants
confined within Suleiman's massive walls. Of these, 5,000 were Muslim Arabs, 3,000
were Christian Arabs and 6,000 were Jews; there were also about 100 European
missionaries and traders and 800 Turkish soldiers. By 1860 Jewish immigrants,
mostly from Russia, turned the Jews into the largest single group in the
city. By 1896 the population had risen to over 45,000, leading to the creation
of housing and suburbs on the hills outside the walls.
Despite the transformation of Jerusalem from a dismal backwater
to a modern city, much that was dirty and disagreeable remained. And the
city's success in attracting Jews, Christians and Muslims in ever increasing
numbers planted the seeds of future conflict...
Old City Walls and Gates
Right,
detail of the splendid walls
of the Old City built by the Ottoman sultan Suleiman the Magnificent between
1536 and 1541, when the city was under Turkish control. They were built
to protect the city from marauding Bedouins and, more urgently, against a crusade
rumored to be in preparation by Holy Roman Emperor Charles V (1519-56).
But after years of conflict Charles agreed on a truce and Suleiman was able to redirect his builders to more
pressing matters. As a result the interiors of around half the towers were left
incomplete.
Suleiman's walls were constructed on the foundations of medieval ramparts,
which themselves stood on the ruins of still earlier walls built on bedrock
from the Second Temple period. Their total length is 2.7 miles and their height
ranges from 17 feet to 50 feet. At some points they are nearly 10 feet
thick at the base. There are 35 towers at corners and other points
of vulnerability. The builders included some 400 firing slits or loopholes for rifleman,
as the bow-and-arrow was already obsolete.
Visitors can walk along the top of two sections of the walls, from the
Jaffa Gate clockwise via New Gate and Damascus Gate to St. Stephen's/Lions
Gate, and counterclockwise from Jaffa Gate past Dung Gate into the Ophel
Archaeological Garden south of the Temple Mount (the Dung gate/Ophel segment
is a recent addition). Only the section south of St. Stephen's Gate, on
the east side of the Temple Mount, is excluded. The walkway is protected
by railings and provided with explanatory displays.
Jerusalem's fortress-wall is pierced by eight gates, but one, the Golden
Gate, is no longer passable. Some are named for their location and they
are (listed clockwise, beginning at the west wall): |
Jaffa Gate - The Jaffa
Gate
is so named because it was on the end (or beginning) of the road to the
ancient port city of Jaffa or Joppa (now part of Tel Aviv). Arabs still
call it by its official name, Bab el-Khalil ("the Gate of the Friend")
in reference to Hebron, which takes its Arabic name ("Al-Khalil er-Rahman,"
meaning "the beloved of [God] the merciful) from Abraham, "the
Friend of God." Built in 1588, it originally had an L-shaped internal
structure with a 90° bend to prevent a direct breach by invaders. The
wall between the gate and the Citadel to the south was torn down by the
Ottoman sultan Abdul Hamid II for the 1898 visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II so
he could drive through without having to leave his carriage. Here, too,
General Allenby, the leader of the British forces liberating Palestine from
Ottoman rule, entered the city in 1917, but he dismounted his horse and
came through on foot, pausing at the gate to say, "We return to you."
The original gate (above) can still be seen north of the opening.
It has two access staircases for those wishing to take the Ramparts Walk
on top of the walls. According to legend, the two graves behind a wrought-iron
fence just inside the gate are those of the architects executed by Suleiman
for not including Mount Zion within the walls. Another story has the two
put to death to ensure no one else would hire them to build another wall
as beautiful as Jerusalem's. The gate opens directly onto David Street,
which leads to the Street of the Chain—the Old City's colorful main
thoroughfare—marking the boundary between the Christian and Armenian quarters.
Orthodox Jews claim that a mezuzah (doorpost scroll) hidden with the gate's
masonry was written by God. |
New Gate - The last gate cut
in the city wall, but it was not in Suleiman's original plan. It was constructed
at the northwest corner of the Old City in 1887 by permission of Sultan
Abdul Hamid II, to facilitate access to the from the new suburbs
outside the wall to the north. It also gives direct access to the Christian
Quarter. Closed during the Jordanian occupation, it was reopened in 1967. |
Damascus Gate
- Located in the north wall, where travelers would
enter if they had come from Damascus, the Galilee or the Golan Heights.
Jt is easily the most recognizable of the gates of the Old City, not
only
because it is the most monumental, but also because of the perpetual
bustle
of activity outside it. The most elaborate of the city gates, it is the
finest
example of Ottoman architecture in the region. Constructed in 1538 by
Suleiman
the Magnificent, it stands at the lowest geographic point of the city.
It marks
the division between the Muslim and Christian Quarters. The first gate
on
the site was built during the short reign of Herod Agrippa I (41-44 AD).
It was rebuilt by the emperor Hadrian in 135 AD as a freestanding
monumental
entrance to the pagan city of Aelia Capitolina. The remaining eastern
arch
of this earlier gate has been excavated and can be seen below and to the
left of
the present entrance bridge. Inside this gate was a semicircular
plaza from which ran the two principal cardines, or north-south streets
of the city corresponding to present Tariq el-Wad and Suq Khan ez-Zeit.
This plaza featured a column, probably topped by a statue of Hadrian,
from which the Arabic name for the gate, Bab el-Amud ("Gate of the
Column"), is derived. |
Herod's Gate - The official name for
this gate is Bab ez-Zahr ("Flowered Gate"), derived from the three
stone flower medallions on the outside. It faces Arab East Jerusalem and
gives access the Muslim Quarter. Having nothing to do with Herod, it received
the name in the 16th or 17th centuries because medieval pilgrims mistook
a Mameluke house inside for the palace of Herod Antipas, the tetrarch of Galilee
at the time of Jesus. |
Lions Gate - The only eastern
entrance to the Old City, it is named for the relief carvings of two pairs
of lions (actually panthers), the emblems of the Mameluke sultan Baybars (260-1277 AD), which
Suleiman's architects recycled, placing them on either side of the entrance
arch. Built in 1538, Suleiman called it Bab el-Ghor ("Jordan Gate"),
but
the name never took hold. It is also called the St. Stephen's Gate because
tradition holds that Stephen, the first Christian martyr, was stoned to
death nearby; however, this story and the name St. Stephen's Gate were originally
attached to the Damascus Gate. An alternate name is the Sheep Gate, from
an older gate, mentioned in John 5:2, located farther west near the sheep
market at the time of Jesus. Like the Jaffa Gate, it originally had an L-shaped
internal structure with a 90° bend to prevent a direct breach by invaders.
During the British Mandate it was opened to allow vehicle access to the
Austrian Hospital. The Lions Gate faces the Mount of Olives and leads directly
to the first stations of the cross on the Via Dolorosa. |
Dung Gate - The Dung Gate is known in Arabic as Bab el-Magharbeh
("Gate of the Moors"), because immigrants from North Africa lived
in the area just inside in the 16th century AD. The small Ottoman arch above
the ugly modern opening shows that the original gate (built in 1540) was
much smaller. The Jordanians clumsily widened it in the 20th century AD
to allow vehicular access when the Jaffa Gate was sealed between1947 and
1967. The gate's unflattering name is derived from an earlier (5th century
BC) Dung Gate (from Hebrew ashpoth,
meaning "ash heap, refuse heap") mentioned in the book of Nehemiah
(2:13, 3:13, 3:14, 12:31). It stood at the southern end of the city, above
the Hinnom Valley, where refuse from the city was dumped. In ancient times
the sweepings or the city's streets and roads were carefully removed from
around the houses and collected in heaps outside the walls, then removed
in due course to fertilize the fields. The difficulty of procuring fuel
in some areas of the Middle East in earlier times made animal dung valuable
as a substitute fuel for heating ovens and baking. Today's Dung Gate provides
the most direct access to the Western Wall, Jewish Quarter and Temple
Mount. It stands between the Jewish Quarter and an Arab district outside
the walls, and is therefore subject to tight security measures. To enter
the prayer plaza before the Western Wall, everyone must first pass through a
line of metal detectors. |
Zion Gate - Logically, it exits onto the
highest part of the city now known as Mount Zion. Just beyond the gate are
the traditional Tomb of David, the site of the Upper Room of the Last Supper
and the Church of the Dormitian. Like the Jaffa and Lions Gates, it originally
had an L-shaped internal structure with a 90° bend to prevent direct
access by invaders. Today it leads directly into the Armenian Quarter. In
Arabic it is known as Bab Nabi Daud ("Gate of the Prophet David"),
because of a legend that his tomb is located on Mount Zion. Built in 1540,
it was through this gate that residents of the Jewish Quarter were driven
out of the city by the Jordanians in 1948. The gateway was then sealed ,
and remained so until 1967, when the Jews returned. The bullet-scared entrance
arch bears mute witness to the heavy fighting that raged here during Israel's
1948 War of Independence. |
Golden Gate - The Golden Gate is the only readily visible
gate in the east wall, it was not rebuilt by Suleiman
the Magnificent. Its architectural style indicates that it was constructed by
the Omayyad caliph Abd al-Malik (685-708 AD) when he refurbished the Temple
Mount and constructed the Dome of the Rock. There
is evidence that is stands on the site of the original eastern entrance
to the city; monolithic stones in the wall just above ground have been identified
as 6th century BC masonry from the time of Nehemiah (see Nehemiah 3:29,
"East Gate"). During the Second Temple period (1st century BC-1st
century AD) this was the site of the Shushan Gate, mentioned in the Mishnah,
the record of centuries of interpretation of the Torah. A bridge supported
by arches ran from the gate across the Kidron Valley, and was known as the
"Causeway of the Heifer," since the High Priest used this way
to reach the Mount of Olives where the ritual burning of the Red Heifer
took place, to purify the pilgrims with its ashes (see reference in Numbers
19:2).
The modern term "Golden Gate" may have been derived from the
Latin Vulgate version of the Bible: When Jerome translated the text of Acts
3:2 he changed the Greek oraia (meaning "beautiful") into
the similar sounding Latin aurea ("golden"). So the Latin
Vulgate text reads "Golden Gate" instead of "Beautiful Gate."
According to Christian tradition, Jesus entered the Temple Mount through
this gate on Palm Sunday. The gate was probably open during the Byzantine
period, and the emperor Heraclius entered here after taking Jerusalem in
629 AD. After the Muslim conquest it was closed to prevent unsupervised access to the Temple
Mount by "unbelievers." At the time of the Crusades (after 1099
AD) it was opened twice a year, on Palm Sunday and the feast of the Exaltation
of the cross. The gate was finally closed under Turkish rule and has remained
so to this day.
The Muslim name of the gate is Bab al-Dhahabi; the north portal is known
as Bab al-Tawba ("Gate of Repentance"), the southern portal,
Bab al-Rahma ("Gate of Mercy"). The Golden Gate has long
been associated in Muslim, Jewish and Christian tradition with the Last
Judgment. Many Jews and Christians believe the Messiah will return to Jerusalem
from the summit of the Mount of Olives and then proceed into Jerusalem throught
the Golden Gate. Some Muslims place Allah's final judgment there also, comparing
it to the crossing of a narrow knife blade stretching from a mountain (the
Mount of Olives is often mentioned in Arab legend) to the "gate of
heaven. Evidently this knife-edged bridge would span the Kidron Valley as
did the ancient stone bridge in Roman times. For this reason adherents to
all three faiths have chosen to be buried as close as possible to the Golden
Gate, assuming that those buried in the immediate vicinity would be
the first to be raised. In the Middle Ages Jewish burials were forbidden
on Mount Moriah/Temple Mount. Instead the Jews buried their dead opposite
the gate on the Mount of Olives. This Jewish cemetery, covering the entire
southern end of the ridge, is the oldest in continuous use anywhere in the
world. It is said that a burial plot there, if available, costs at least
$50,000. A Christian cemetery lies at the bottom of the Kidron Valley, while
a Muslim burial area covers the eastern slopes of the Temple Mount up to
and surrounding the Golden Gate. |
[sidebar: Religious fanaticism and INBREEDING for centuries and what do we have as the EXPERIMENT? The state of affairs of too many Homo Sapiens with absolutely no brain higher intellect. This is criminal KINGS OF JERUSALEM.
As KAREN HUDES' spoke, the CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG.
GINKS & NEEUQS
Don't quite get that HUMANITY isn't amused at OURSELVES.
Do these IGNORAMUSES not get, of course they can't in INBREEDING BLOOD DISEASED BODIES-MINDS-SPIRITS get, we are not a separation in earth's atmosphere.
JEWS think they're somehow chosen or more special. ARABS think they're DIVINELY chosen, as well.
Well good luck, in not getting >> CHOSEN is when we DECIDE to come and be here in EARTH, as a "Human Being": I/WE CHOOSE dumber than boxes of rocks!
Why the practitioners of GINKS & NEEUQS,
The recent HAPSBURG that died at age 98, had his heart cut out and put the organ in a silver CASKET of sorts, and call this act of barbaric cannibalism "WORSHIP".
Egyptians also practiced worship that was not exactly a current reality!
HOW TO DESTROY PLANET EARTH? Get lots of the same species, Human Beings, teach them how to self loathe (IE EG JEWS) AND how to PROJECT the psychopathy and sociopath DERANGED BRAINS onto the same species and call this-these criminally insane ACTS 'modern', 'liberal', and name a LIE that isn't the truth about "JERUSALEM" and "ISRAEL"!
BIBLE & SWORD, Barbara Tuchman, Jews would benefit from knowing how they got to be, yet again, the microscopic subterranean for the KING/S of JERUSALEM. PLEASE, we have to wake up right now.]
... to be continued ...
THEY-THEM-THOSE "THE" self proclaimed KINGS/QUEENS 'Earth Morons' want the whole species to be groveling in the dirt as though we can't read-write-and-do-"the-maths". HATE is what feeds this TRIBE so LOVE is what we must GROW into the GREATEST STORY TOLD. BYE BYE Houses of Hapsburg-Spain-Juan-Carlos ET AL
ReplyDeleteNot exactly an 'enlightenment' ~NO~ not by any stretch of a fully vacuous aborted imagination.
ReplyDeleteHow to, in Tai Chi, take the head of a very bad lion and gently hold this beast taking IT down into the valley and back to the mountain - ENERGY doesn't have patience any further for this abomination of 'life'!
ReplyDelete